Thursday, February 5, 2009

Update, working on February, and some other things

I've finally started work on February. I've fixed some problems with the first few days that were already done, and I'm now finished through Feb. 10. the 11th & 12th have a lot of propers, so it might be a few days before I get them done.

I've also made some progress in other areas. There are a couple of technical things I've been fighting with for a while now regarding fonts, accents, and hyphenation.
Read more!
First, I've made a custom version of the Times font, which has some missing characters that I really really wanted: the æ and œ with accent! This is now fixed, and accents should appear correctly from now on. Why is this important? It makes the Latin much easier to pronounce, at least for people like me who aren't Latin scholars (the accent denotes which syllable is stressed).

Speaking of Accents, I wrote a special program to go through the whole breviary and look for words with three or more syllables which weren't accented. There were a couple-hundred (yikes!), and so I spent some time fixing all of them. Or at least I think it's all of them.

I've also made some more adjustments to the Latin hyphenation, so it should be a little better now. The main adjustments have to do with œ, au, and gu+vowel. There are probably still a lot of bugs that need to be worked out, so if you're really good with Latin and you see something mis-hyphenated, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Is there any current projection of when you may finish this great undertaking? What a great task for you to take on. Also are there any plans to bind this in leather once finished as you mentioned a while ago on fisheaters. Thank You. For your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew: I'm hesitant to give any timeline: if I was working on this full-time, and knew that I would have a certain number of hours to dedicate to it every day, I could probably give a good idea of when the propers would be done. Sadly, that is not the case.

    As regards the leatherbound edition, I am still very interested in this. I've made inquiries, and will probably do a post at some point with more details. The short version is that I would need to arrange financing for the printing. Up-front costs are about $60,000, if memory serves. The per copy cost is extremely reasonable, though: well under $30, and maybe under $20 depending on the quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply I eagerly await the projects completion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David: Many congratulations on this splendid effort. Are you scanning the pages and then using OCR to transcribe them? Alternatively, why don 't you do what the Catholic Encyclopedia project did and ask people to type them for you? I see the full breviary ios now available in Europe for $198, but your sounds cheaper and more worth of support.

    ReplyDelete