Sunday, May 3, 2009

St. Joseph the Workman

I'm still working on the feast of St. Joseph the Worker (May 1). Unfortunately, I don't have a source for most of the English translations of antiphons, versicles and the hymn at Lauds. All of these are relatively new, so any translations out there seem to be copyrighted.

That means I'm doing a lot of translating--something which takes me a very long time. I'm not sure how long it will take for me to finish these translations; I haven't even started on the hymn yet. Speaking of which: I'll probably just do a rough literal translation for the time being, and then work on one which follows the rules of rhyme and meter at some point in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I have the 1964 Benziger Breviary in complete English. I don't believe that it is still under copyright. Would you like those texts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: Thanks for the offer. I actually have a copy of that very work--a gift from a very kind soul! When I first started this project I used the texts from this edition extensively, but then discovered that it is indeed still under copyright. In US copyright law, 1963 was the last year which fell under the old renewal system, and so all works from 1964 onward are still under copyright.

    In addition, the hymns may be covered under different copyrights than the rest of the text if they had previously been published in another work. I encountered this exact case recently, with the translation of the "Jam lucis orto sidere" at Prime.

    There is a very good translation done by A. McDougall, found in many different works (including the 1964 Benzinger). I believe it was originally published in London in 1919, in a work entitled "Pange Lingua." As such, it is governed by British copyright law, which extends between 50 and 70 years past the death of the author. McDougall died in 1965 (RIP), so the translation is covered at least until 2015, and possibly until 2035.

    Again, thanks for the offer!

    ReplyDelete