Saturday, June 20, 2009

Lots of revisions coming

As I mentioned in my last post, I've had a number of changes and revisions on my mind for a while now. I'm just about done with a large number of these revisions, and will be posting a new update soon. All of these changes are targeted at usability:
  1. All of the section headings in the Ordinary and Psalter are in English now...or Latin and English. There shouldn't be any more Latin-only headings.
  2. I've added a LOT more rubrics/instructions to the Ordinary.
  3. I added a short version of the opening versicle to all the hours (except Matins), and the hymns for Prime, Terce, Sext and None on all the weekdays in the psalter. This should cut down on a LOT of page-flipping, as pretty much all of the hours can be said through the end of the psalms without leaving the psalter.
  4. I moved some of the "supplemental" psalms from Sunday Vespers to the beginning of the book. Psalm 116 is still there after 113, which makes sense because it is the psalm most often used in place of 113 on feasts. It's also what most "real" Breviaries do. The other psalms that are used with somewhat less frequency (115, 131, 137, and 147) I have moved to the very front, starting on page 3. This way they'll be handy when needed, but won't be quite so obtrusive the rest of the time.
  5. In addition to these changes, I've also fixed a number of typos and misspellings.
It's going to take me a few more days to get things to a point where I can post an update, and this will give me a little more time to make sure I didn't move or delete something inadvertently.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, a wonderful job here! Quite a beautiful little book and I'm eager to purchase a printed volume.

    Two points:

    1) On a version just downloaded from the link at lulu.com, there are 47 instances of the phrase "Error: Reference source not found." in places where it appears a link has been broken. Perhaps this has been fixed and will appear corrected in the next version, but since you didn't mention it, I figured I would just in case.

    2) Is there an option to allow both BW and 2C/4C printing for a book on lulu, or does the seller have to choose one or the other? I think many people wouldn't mind paying extra for a 2C/4C version (so the printed rubrics would be in red), so long as others wouldn't be priced out, with the BW version still available. Apologies if you've already addressed this -- just came upon your blog now.

    Respectfully,
    DG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also! There appears to be a remaining vestige of the Index in the running head on the last page, if you hadn't already caught it.

    DG

    ReplyDelete